Common poisoning in dogs and cats
Every year thousands of dogs and cats are poisoned accidentally by automobile antifreeze. Standard commercial antifreeze consists of 95% ethylene glycol, an extremely toxic chemical. For a medium sized dog, ingestion of about 3-4 tablespoons is toxic. For cats,1-2 teaspoons will result in death. Antifreeze poisoning is often the result of containers left open in the fall after car owners replace the old antifreeze with fresh antifreeze. However, poisoning can happen anytime, especially when a car's cooling system boils over or when a hose leaks onto the driveway.
Both cats and dog apppear to be attracted to the smell and taste of ethylene glycol. Very quickly after ingesting antifreeze, destruction of the filter system of the kidney begins, which leads to total kidney failure. If you suspect or see a pet has ingested antifreeze, even the smallest amount, immediate medical attention is critical.
You may substitue newer less toxic antifreeze products, which are propylene-glycol-based, in your car to decrease risk. These are still toxic if consumed in large quantities.
Prevention of Antifreeze poisoning
When changing antifreeze, collect all of the waste coolant and properly dispose of it.
If you see a puddle of greenish-colored liquid in your driveway, flush the area with plenty of water and don't delay locating and fixing the leak.
User newer less toxic products such as Sierra ,Sta-Clean, or LowTox® Antifreeze quantities.
While antifreeze poisoning is a serious problem, it can be totally prevented by you.